Volunteers Opportunities: Weather-Ready Nation Community Service Events
Weather-Ready Nation Service Events
A Weather-Ready Nation is about building community preparedness in the face of increasing vulnerability to extreme events so the country will be prepared to protect, mitigate, respond to, and recover from weather-related disasters. The key to building a weather-ready nation is through developing and maintaining strong partnerships at all levels of government, the private sector, nonprofits, academia, the full weather enterprise, and the general public to encourage societal change toward a more ready, responsive, and resilient nation.
The Weather-Ready Nation Service Events will be held in the Atlanta area during Saturday, 1 February; Sunday, 2 February; and Tuesday, 4 February. Exact times and details are to be determined closer to the Annual Meeting, but all are welcome to help in the planning and implementation of these community service and outreach events. For information on these events, please contact Jennifer Sprague (tel: 301-713-0217; e-mail: email@example.com).
- Saturday, 1 February: Weather-Ready Nation Community Service Event, Business, Engineering, Science and Technology (B.E.S.T.) Academy, 1890 Donald Lee Hollowell Pkwy., Atlanta, 9:15 a.m. –2:00 p.m. (Volunteer Arrival Time: 8:00 a.m.) (THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELED.)
- Saturday, 1 February: Weather-Ready Nation Community Service Event, Atlanta Central Library, 1 Margaret Mitchell Square, Atlanta, 1:00 p.m.–4:00 p.m. (Volunteer Arrival Time: 12:30 p.m.)
- Sunday, 2 February: Weather-Ready Nation Boy Scouts and Girls Scouts Event: 8:45 a.m.–12:30 p.m. (Volunteer Arrival Time: 8:00 a.m.)
- Tuesday, 4 February: Weather-Ready Nation Event, Atlanta Hawks versus Indiana Pacers basketball game: Philips Arena, 91 Philips Dr., Atlanta, 7:30 p.m.–11:00 p.m. (Volunteer Arrival Time: 6:30 p.m.)
Volunteers Needed for the Scouting Event at AMS Annual Meeting
AMS will host a new Weather-Ready Nation program for Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts in the Atlanta area from 9:00am-12:30pm on Sunday, Feb. 2. The program will focus on both weather and emergency preparedness, and participating scouts (ages 11-17) will have the opportunity to earn the new Weather-Ready Nation Patch, as well as their respective Weather Merit Badges in full. AMS is in need of several volunteers to lead or assist with the instructional sessions. Specifically, AMS needs:
- 16 professional scientists (meteorologists, climatologists, hydro, etc.), including at least 4 WFO/broadcaster meteorologists, to teach weather-specific segments and some of the emergency preparedness segments;
- 14 people from emergency management community to teach emergency preparedness segments;
- 20 general helpers (students, adult scout volunteers, other AMS members, etc.) to help instructors and event organizers in various capacities;
- 2-3 certified BSA Weather Merit Badge Instructors to help with important administrative functions in the afternoon during WeatherFest (i.e. signing BSA blue cards).
Those interested in volunteering should contact Chrissy Warrilow at firstname.lastname@example.org.