25th Symposium on Education
Authors & Presenters
Please review our Presenter Guidelines.
Please note that abstract fees are only refundable if your abstract is rejected for presentation and Any abstracts withdrawn after acceptance must still be paid in full.
- Check/Change Abstract Title and Author Listing Deadline: 2 November 2015
- Oral Presentation Upload Deadline (before meeting): 4 January 2016
- Supplementary Information Upload Deadline 11 February 2015
Sponsors and Organizers
The 25th Symposium on Education is sponsored by the American Meteorological Society.
Call for Papers
The theme for the 2016 AMS Annual Meeting, “Earth System Science in Service to Society”, weaves the many parts of AMS into a common core. Emphasizing the academic and research strength of AMS, the theme also connects that research to the benefits that society gains from our science. AMS merges the physical, chemical, and biological study of the Earth with human-centered “domains of action”: (1) Observing, (2) Analysis and research leading to understanding, (3) Modeling and prediction, and (4) Social sciences – how people deal with Earth. “Service to Society” explicitly evokes the integrated and complementary government and commercial enterprise that the AMS has done so much to foster over the last decade. The 2016 meeting integrates AMS’ proud, nearly 100-year history of making a positive difference in the lives of our citizens by continually communicating the advances of its science research to the public and policy makers. Preliminary programs, registration, hotel, and general information will be posted on the AMS Web site (http://www.ametsoc.org/meet/annual/) in late September 2015.
The 25th Symposium on Education, to be held 11-13 January 2016, is celebrating a quarter century of outstanding papers, posters, and activities highlighting the evolution of education over time. A special 25th celebration will take place Tuesday evening during the annual meeting. Presentations by this year’s teaching award recipients will be included in the program.
For the 2016 meeting, the Symposium is soliciting papers and posters on all aspects of university, K-12, formal, and informal education. This year, abstracts can also be submitted for sessions with the following themes, including submissions for jointly sponsored sessions:
1. Celebrating 25 years of the AMS Symposium on Education
2. Pre-College Education Initiatives
3. University Education Initiatives
4. Innovative Teaching Strategies in University Instruction focused on Earth System Science
5. Outreach and Broader Impacts
6. Promoting Diversity in Earth System Science
7. Addressing Broader Impacts: Lessons Learned from recent NSF-CAREER Awards
8. Satellite Meteorology: GOES-R Pre-Launch Education Initiatives (Joint Session with 12th Annual Symposium on New Generation Operational Environmental Satellite Systems)
9. Emergency Management: Education and Outreach to Better Prepare the Public (Joint Session with 4th Symposium on Building a Weather-Ready Nation and 30th Conference on Hydrology)
10. Professional Education for Climate Change and Health: Best Practices for Interdisciplinary Training (Joint Session with Health)
11. The Use of Social Media in Education, Outreach and Training (Joint session with 32nd Conference on Environmental Information Processing Technologies)
12. Poster Session (open for all education, outreach, and broader impacts topics)
Authors of accepted presentations will be notified via e-mail by late-September 2015. All extended abstracts are to be submitted electronically and will be available on-line via the Web. Instructions for formatting extended abstracts will be posted on the AMS Web site. Authors have the option to submit manuscripts (up to 10 MB) electronically by 11 February 2016. All abstracts, extended abstracts and presentations will be available on the AMS Web site at no cost.