Seventh Symposium on Policy and Socio-Economic Research
The Seventh Symposium on Policy and Socio-Economic Research (7POLICY), sponsored by the American Meteorological Society, will be held 22–26 January 2012, as part of the 92nd AMS Annual Meeting in New Orleans, LA.
The theme of the 2012 AMS Annual Meeting is “Technology in Research and Operations—How We Got Here and Where We’re Going.” In support of this, 7POLICY will include discussions on the impacts of weather and climate variations and how recent advances in technology can be better utilized in service to society. The AMS Symposium on Policy and Socio-Economic Research provides a forum for scholars to (i) share their policy and socio-economic research theories, methods, and results and report on recent progress to other scholars in this field, and (ii) dialogue and engage with researchers, policy makers, practitioners, and government officials in these areas. This Symposium therefore allows for better assessment, coordination, and direction of societal aspects of weather and climate information designed to inform end-users’ decision-making.
The main sub-themes of the Seventh Symposium on Policy and Socio-Economic Research include:
• Climate change policy and adaptation with an emphasis on the use and influence of scientific information on policy decisions related to climate change
• Communication of weather and climate information, including use and research of new technologies such as social media
• Communicating with diverse populations to understand the influences of weather and climate on human society
• Post- Katrina and Deepwater Horizon: New Orleans’s vulnerability, recovery, and adaptation
• Economic aspects of weather and climate information
• Societal dimensions of weather and climate hazards, including a special focus on relating hazards to climate change
For additional information please contact the program chairpersons, Sheldon Drobot (tel: 303-497-2705; email: firstname.lastname@example.org) or Julie Demuth (tel: 303-497-8112; email: email@example.com) (2/11; r4/11; r5/11; r6/11; r8/11)