Education Symposium Discussion-Tuesday, 8 January, 2013
The Education Symposium invites its attendees and speakers for an inclusive conversation about the Education Symposium. We seek ideas to make the symposium even more dynamic, to better connect it to research and other research-focused symposia, and to interest more annual meeting attendees in participating. Please join us with your ideas or suggestions from 5:30 to 6:30 in Convention Center Room 13AB Tuesday, 8 January, 2013.
Special Sessions/Programs of General Interest
- Education Symposium Discussion-Tuesday, 8 January, 2013
The Education Symposium invites its attendees and speakers for an inclusive conversation about the Education Symposium.
- Special Symposium on the Transport and Diffusion of Contaminants from the Fukushima Dai-Ichi Nuclear Power Plant: Present Status and Future Directions
- Special Joint Themed Panel Session: From Predictions to Impact Based Decisions: Linking Water, Weather, Coastal and Climate
- Monday, 7 January 2013 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM; Ballroom G
- AMS Career Fair
- Sunday–Monday, 6–7 January; Exhibit Hall 3
Provides employers seeking qualified personnel and individuals seeking employment an opportunity to interact.
- Special Session on Weather, Climate, and Energy Featuring “Energy Visionary” T. Boone Pickens
- Sunday, 6 January, 7:30–8:45 P.M.; Ballroom D
- 13th Presidential Forum: Taking Predictions to the Next Level: Expanding Beyond Today's Weather, Water, and Climate Forecasting and Projections
- Monday, 7 January, 8:30–10:30 A.M.; Ballroom D
- Themed Joint Sessions
Did you know we have over 35 themed joint sessions scheduled? We are expecting, with your participation and involvement, these themed joint sessions will serve as a catalyst for focusing the attention of the research and operational communities (and also those who are involved in accelerating the transition of research results into operations) on the exciting possibilities related to advancing predictive capabilities across many fields and applications.
- Meet the President
- Tuesday–Thursday, 8–10 January, Austin Convention Center, Room 1
Because he feels it is extremely important for the leadership of the AMS to understand, and be as responsible as possible to, the views and concerns of our members and meeting attendees, AMS President Louis Uccellini have set aside some time during the week to answer questions, listen to concerns and suggestions, or just to talk.
- AMS Beacons Program to Help Lighten the AMS Annual Meeting!
The AMS Beacons Program is an initiative of the Membership Committee and is firmly rooted in former Executive Director Kenneth Spengler's legacy of fostering the AMS as an open, inclusive, and welcoming organization. The Beacons program is an ambassador program with a member-staffed goodwill cadre reflecting AMS initiatives mandate to serve its existing, returning, and potentially new members.
- Daily Weather Briefings
- Monday–Thursday, 7–10 January, 12:45–1:05 P.M.; Room 10B
- Book Signings
- AMS Resource Center and AMS Exhibit Hall 4
Author Signings at the Resource Center 9:45-11AM today! Buy a book, have it signed, and receive a $5 off coupon toward another book!
- Women in the Atmospheric Sciences Luncheon: Conversations with Role Models
- Wednesday, 9 January, 12:00–1:30 P.M.; Ballroom E