Welcome to your first AMS Annual Meeting! We are excited to have you join us in New Orleans! This is a great opportunity for you to enhance both your personal and professional growth as a member of weather, water, and climate community. Below are some tips to make the most of it:
Prior to the Conference
- Check out the Information for All Attendees.
- Figure out which sessions you’d like to attend and who you’d like to meet. The author index and presentation titles are available in the scientific program.
- Follow the AMS Annual Meeting on Twitter, Facebook, and when it becomes available in December, download the 96th AMS Annual Meeting App. You don’t have to wait until the conference to tweet; start using #AMS2016 now!
- Upload your resume and pack extra business cards if you are attending the AMS Career Fair. The Career Fair is a great opportunity to interview with organizations, network with government agency and private industry employees, and meet recruiters from some of the country’s best graduate school programs -- all in one convenient location!
At the Conference
- Don’t miss the Newcomer’s Welcome and Informational Exchange, on Sunday, 10 January, 3:00–4:00 P.M. This session is designed to provide first-time attendees with an overview of the Annual Meeting and suggestions on how to get the most out of their time while attending the meeting.
- Have a question? Ask an AMS Beacon, who may be identified by their bright yellow lanyards, or stop by the AMS Information Desk for assistance.
- Read The Front Page Blog during the meeting for daily updates on events and conference information.
- Tweet using #AMS2016! If you’re enjoying a particular session or event, let other attendees know about it.
- You can use your laptop or smart phone during a session. Typing notes during a talk is okay; so is tweeting. Just be mindful of other attendees and respectful of the speakers. Don’t forget to turn down the volume on your device as well.
- You don’t have to stay for the full length of a session. The speakers and their presentation titles for each session in the scientific program or mobile app are listed in the order in which they will be presented. If you plan on staying for just a short period of time, grab a seat near the door so you can easily slip out.
- Visit the Exhibits. Exhibitors come from all over the United States and abroad, with over 100 organizations showcasing a wide range of products, publications, and services. Demonstrations of new and innovative equipment are given daily! Remember to take the opportunity to socialize while checking out the future trends in equipment, systems, and software.
After the Conference
- Every year, shortly after the meeting, registrants will be emailed a link to an electronic survey. Your experiences and opinion of the meeting will help us to plan and organize future meetings and events.
- Follow up with your new contacts. Send an email to those you’ve networked with to follow up on a question or discussion, or just to say “It was a pleasure meeting you.”
- Watch recorded presentations. Miss a presentation or want to see another one again? Many of the presentations are recorded and will be available a few weeks after the end of the meeting.
- Get Involved in AMS! Become a member. Present at an upcoming meeting. Volunteer your talents to an AMS committee -- you can volunteer online.
- We hope you will make the most out of your time in New Orleans, and look forward to you attending the 97th Annual Meeting in Seattle!