11th Symposium on Societal Applications: Policy, Research and Practice
View in the Scientific Program
Authors & Presenters
Please review our Presenter Guidelines.
Please note that abstract fees are only refundable if your abstract is rejected for presentation and Any abstracts withdrawn after acceptance must still be paid in full.
- Check/Change Abstract Title and Author Listing Deadline: 2 November 2015
- Oral Presentation Upload Deadline (before meeting): 4 January 2016
- Supplementary Information Upload Deadline 11 February 2015
Sponsors and Organizers
The 11th Symposium on Societal Applications: Policy, Research and Practice is organized by the AMS Board on Societal Impacts and is sponsored by the American Meteorological Society.
Call for Papers
The theme for the 2016 AMS Annual Meeting, “Earth System Science in Service to Society”, weaves the many parts of AMS into a common core. Emphasizing the academic and research strength of AMS, the theme also connects that research to the benefits that society gains from our science. AMS merges the physical, chemical, and biological study of the Earth with human-centered “domains of action”: (1) Observing, (2) Analysis and research leading to understanding, (3) Modeling and prediction, and (4) Social sciences – how people deal with Earth. “Service to Society” explicitly evokes the integrated and complementary government and commercial enterprise that the AMS has done so much to foster over the last decade. The 2016 meeting integrates AMS’ proud, nearly 100-year history of making a positive difference in the lives of our citizens by continually communicating the advances of its science research to the public and policy makers.
In keeping with the theme for the 2016 AMS meeting, papers for this Symposium are especially solicited that address:
- Societal responses, risk and resilience in the face of climate variability, extreme weather, and climate change
- Communicating weather and climate information, risks and uncertainty: research and applications
- Policy and Decision Making at the Weather, Climate and Society Interface
- Katrina +10: where are we with preparedness and response to weather disasters?
- Themed-joint session: Improving Communication of Threats to the Public
Student Award Opportunities
The 11th Symposium on Societal Applications: Policy, Research and Practice is proud to announce that it will make awards at the AMS Annual Meeting to recognize outstanding student contributions based on the evaluation of poster and oral presentations made during Symposium-led sessions.
Contenders for the award must be:
- Enrolled at a University (either at undergraduate or graduate level),
- The lead-author, and
- Personally make the presentation of his/her work.
A student who wishes to be considered for this prize should indicate this when submitting his/her abstract.
Previous winners of this prize are not eligible.
The deadline for submission of abstracts to the Symposium (see AMS website for details) is 17 August 2015.
For additional information please contact the program chairpersons, Kathy Sherman-Morris and Olga A. Wilhelmi.